Friday, August 7, 2009

Warhammer 40000: Dawn Of War II - What a waste!

So what do you do when you wanna buy a nice new state of the art game to waste ur precious time on?
After doing my research on the kind of game I wanted I decided to buy Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II. High ratings on picky sites like gamespot and ign gave me the impression that this new "unique" concept would be an interesting play, something that is out of the ordinary.

While I decided to pick this over Red Alert 3, which I'm sure wouldn't have caused as much drama as this one. Not to mention, this game was 300 bucks cheaper, why? I guess I was to find out soon enough.

I got home excited, ready to play the game that, hopefully, could become my favourite pass time over the next few weeks or months.

Here is where the problem really starts... Once you try to install the game, it asked me to update Windows Vista to SP1. Alright I said, a long wait, a 400mb download, and a few restarts later I was geared up once more, to engage in the battle that was so highly spoken of.

Obviously, I was mistaken. Now, upon trying to install the game, the STEAM client (a launcher used for games produced by ValvE entertainment) needed an update. Using steam for any game, even if it is valve, is nothing less than a irritating, and frustrating experience.

So, another long wait, a big download an a steam update later, I was for a third time, hopeful.. that this was the start of the gaming rainbow.... Wrong once more!

Once steam was installed, it proceeds to update the GAME! Frustrated yet? I sure as hell was. I still am.

Sigh, you think, this has to be the end. No, no, not yet.

Once you launch the game, yes, you guessed it, ANOTHER UPDATE. This time, it was Windows Live for games. Which by the way, could not update itself from within the game, as most other windows products that "automatically" do things. I think microsoft should say they "automatically" screw things up.

Ergo, I found the update on line, another download, another install, a longer wait.

Now once all is updated, you try to log in to your Windows Live ID.. only to find that you have to PAY TO PLAY ONLINE! After all that freakin shit you have to pay these people money to continue frustrating you.

This is by far the worst game experiance anyone should be put through. There are a hundred companies that produce game, in a highly competitive market. Frustrating your customers isn't the best idea for repeat sales.

Are you listening THQ, Microsoft, and Relic?

The gameplay wasn't bad, but you really, really, really messed up the process. 4 updates, 4 different accounts to play online and in addition to the price of the game, there is a price to play online. Oh by the way, did I mention of the 3 races available, you can only use 1 if you play single player. Hence, to play with the other 2, you must pay them. Again.

In comparision, I look at my PS3 - albeit the games are more expensive. But a few bucks more means you can take the game, put it in your console, download 1 update (this time it really is automatic) and play online as much as you want - no more hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment